Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Opera in the Amazons

If there is one way to start off our trip in the amazons, I never thought seeing an opera would be the way to do it. Boy, was I wrong! We started off our day by visiting an opera house called the Amazon Theatre, which began construction in 1881 and was completed in 1896. The interior is beautiful, and it is incredible the work that went in to everything. Hand painted everything, marble stairs and statues from Italy, 36,000 decorated ceramic tiles, and 198 chandeliers imported from Italy. This is only the beginning of what we saw. It was incredible to see and to be able to walk through. We found out that later that day there would be an opera by a Korean group that was free at the opera house, so we decided to attend.

I had my doubts at first. I have not seen a decent opera for a while and I didn't know how good this group would be. The way they sang blew me away from the moment they started. It was EXCELLENT. They sang in German, Italian, Spanish, and probably French. It was beautiful music and they were such lively people that it made it incredibly fun. The entire time I couldn't believe that I was sitting in an opera house, built in 1896 during the reign, and at the request of, Dom Pedro II the Emperor of Brasil, in the middle of the amazons, listening to beautiful opera. It was such an amazing experience that I cannot properly describe it. It is one that if anyone ever has the chance, they should take it.








No comments:

Post a Comment